Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cycling Like a Little Old Lady, July 9, 2009

Well I took the old lady route--sidewalks--for my first big solo ride into a commercial zone.  I was terrified.  My little two-lane boulevard outside is a death-row-waiting-to-happen with cars whizzing by with no sense that they give any quarter to cyclists, let alone a pathetically slow old man just trying to get a few groceries in the house.  But we made it the six block distance in tact and got a little cocky on the way back.  I alternated between sidewalks and the street. I finally realized I had a rearview mirror and could watch those speed demons trying to run me down.  My groceries were in my double basket over the rear tire.  

The first bike ride was on the side streets of the neighborhood where little traffic moves at all after 6:00 PM. Boy was I wobbly! 

Not ready to venture out with Beau quite yet.  I want to see if they have crash helmets available for dogs.  Now I gotta work on my confidence.  I hope to cycle all the way downtown in a few weeks.  Tomorrow I'm heading in the other direction for a haircut.  Thank god I'm insured. 

I can see it now.  All my lesbian girlfriends are laughing and calling me a sissy.  All the straight girls are merely rolling their eyes and wondering when the hell I'm gonna get a car.

I'm having company over for the first time.  My old friends, Carol and Sarah, want to see the house and I'm feeding them Carl's classic roast chicken, oven baked Southwest sweet potato fries, roasted cauliflower and a big green salad. I've got a cherry clafouti in the oven now.  

Finally got my desktop connected to the Internet tomorrow.  I'm sorta going back to work on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment