Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The First Rose



Well it is not exactly the first rose I've grown in Portland. But the rain savaged the first two blooms while I was in New York. This one was beginning to open when I arrived home and yesterday it seemed to be as huge a rose as any I've ever seen. I clipped it today because the rains are torrential here and I wanted to enjoy it. June is rose month in this city known as the Rose Capital of America. I want to go to Washington Park to view the hundreds of rose bushes in bloom. I'm just waiting for break in this rain. We've had something like 22 days out of 24 with rain, highly unusual even for Portland, this late in the season.

My rose bushes are full of new buds. So far growing roses is a lot easier than I thought it would be.


No comments:

Post a Comment